Stuffed Grape Leaves.
You can cook Stuffed Grape Leaves using 21 ingredients and 22 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Stuffed Grape Leaves
- Prepare of Meat Filling Mixture.
- It’s 3 1/2 lb of ground meat (turkey, beef, lamb, deer).
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of brown rice, rinsed.
- Prepare 2 tsp of garlic, minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of onion, minced.
- Prepare of Grape Leaves.
- Prepare 1 large of jar of grape leaves (90 count).
- You need of Sauce.
- You need 3 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 quart of Tomato sauce (Spaghetti sauce).
- You need 1/4 cup of onion, minced.
- It’s 2 tsp of garlic, minced.
- It’s of water or more chicken broth.
- You need of Utensils.
- Prepare 8 quart of lidded stock pot.
- You need 1 of heat proof plate, cast iron lid.
- It’s 1 of weight or cup of water.
- It’s 2 of large plates.
- You need 1 of sharp knife.
Stuffed Grape Leaves step by step
- Mix with your hand all the meat, onion, and rinsed brown rice, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup onion..
- Set aside. ( I use 19oz. Pkg ground turkey, a little more than a lb. of ground beef and ground deer meat. The combo to me makes it taste somewhat like lamb. I have used all ground beef. Use what you like best.).
- Open your grape leaves , drain, and pull out a bundle. This jar has three. It is a little tricky, don't worry if you tear some on the first bundle..
- Trim stems and large veins..
- Trim the stems from one bunch of grape leaves. ( I do one bunch and fill them, then move on to the next bunch ).
- You may use as much or as little meat as you like, if you use too much it will be hard to fold and not come out like a neat bundle, don't worry just take out some of the meat filling and reroll..
- This is a large leaf. Some will be odd shaped or torn, set those aside until last. Pointed side is at bottom. Fold top down over meat..
- Fold sides in keeping leaf snug around meat..
- Roll down to bottom to make a stuffed tight bundle. Continue until you use your pile of grape leaves..
- Put the finished ones on a large plate. I do these a bundle at a time because I stand at the counter and my back needs a break every so often. If you sit at your table you may be able to work straight through. Stuff and roll til you run out of something..
- You will get large and small leaves. You can separate large and small when you trim the stems off..
- I had 14 leaves left when I ran out of meat. You could put these in a freezer bag, removing the air, and keep for a month in the freezer OR you can lay a few of them in the bottom of your large pot to protect your bundles from possible burning..
- Now we will assemble and get ready to cook.
- Take a large pot with a lid, I use an 8 quart size. Layer 6-8 of your left over grape leaves on the bottom of pot. Since you can't stir while cooking, sometimes it burns a little if your fire is too high..
- Pour enough tomato sauce to just cover your leaves in the bottom of pot..
- Layer your bundles in a flat layer snugly. Repeat layering of bundles until you have put all stuffed grape leaves into pot..
- I had 3 layers, about 77. You want them snug because in the sauce they may float, open and your filling will come out. That is why in a few more steps we will lay a plate or weight on top of them..
- Pour the rest of the tomato juice, the onion, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, and the 3 cups of chicken stock over the bundles slowly..
- ***Place a small metal or plastic plate or cast iron lid ( I couldn't find mine) on top of the bundles with a cup of water if it needs some weight. My Grandfather did this with the stock pot smaller lid and a metal weight. ***I usually don't do this but a lot of recipes call for it so I thought I would try it this time.!!!!!! My plate and water were not heavy enough to stay in place while cooking. Cast iron or a steel trivot would work. Almost all stayed wrapped anyway.!!!!.
- Use low flame. Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer. Add more broth or water if the sauce gets below the bundles. We need to cook the meat and the rice and still have sauce left for when we eat them.( I didn't need extra water).
- Cook for 2 hours then check to see if your rice is cooked by cutting one in half and tasting. If not cook 30 minutes more on low. (I cooked mine for 3 hours because I was waiting for the hubby to get home, they were perfect, not overcooked at all and not burned).
- Serve with a little sauce spooned over them. Some buttered crusty bread and a salad..
Going Green for Greater Health By Consuming Superfoods Learning to slow down and enjoy your life is one facet of green living that numerous folks appreciate. Even with the fast pace of our modern-day world, you can accomplish this. We need to get back to where it was better to prevent disease in the first place. The majority of folks think nothing of mistreating their bodies nowadays and fixing them with a pill later. Everywhere you look, you read about some magic pill that will instantly fix your latest problem. Of course, you may get better by taking a pill but not if you hold on to the same old bad habits. Unlike purchasing a new car, you cannot exchange your burnt-out body for a new one. You mustn’t wait too long or it will be too late to take care of your body. Your body cannot work correctly if it doesn’t get proper nutrition. Do you eat because food is available and you savor the taste or do you opt for nutritional foods? How many times a week do you eat at your local fast food joint or get junk food at the local convenience store? With all of the sugar-laden starchy and fatty food that virtually all people ingest, it’s not surprising that new diseases are regularly occurring. An increasing number of people are developing diabetes, high blood pressure, and other diseases due to the foods they eat. People are deciding to eat better now that they are aware of how essential food choices are to their health. Now it is a lot easier to find quality foods by going to a local farmer’s market or health food store. These days, you can find an organic food area in virtually all grocery stores. There you will be able to find what science has named superfoods. This term refers to 14 foods that have been found to delay or reverse certain illnesses. You will discover that you think more clearly when you begin to consume these superfoods. Once you trade in the junk food for these super foods, you will be surprised at how healthy you will soon feel. Giving your body the nutrition it requires will enable it to function well. By doing this, your immune system will easily fight off maladies. Your daily diet should include at least several of these super foods. Why not add some beans or blueberries? Eat some green tea or spinach or broccoli. Whole food grains, and oats, plus an assortment of nuts, mainly walnuts. In addition, you need to consume yogurt, soy, pumpkins, oranges, and tomatoes, along with salmon and turkey. By consuming these superfoods on a regular basis, you should get rid of any weight gain problems. You will enjoy optimal health once you choose to eat the green living way. Your immune system will be better, and your body is likely to become disease free. Prepare for a healthy future by making positive changes to your eating habits now.